- The background skill system will be used.
- Acrobatics: Jump is no longer a feature of Acrobatics; instead, Jump is now part of the new skill, Athletics. Fly is now part of Acrobatics.
- Athletics (Str): Climb and Swim are now part of this new skill. The Jump rules are also now part of Athletics.
- Climb: No longer a skill: see Athletics.
- Craft and Profession: The alternative craft and profession rules will be used.
- Fly: No longer a skill: see Acrobatics.
- Heal: No longer a skill: see Survival.
- Knowledge (Arcana): No longer identifies occult and psychic phenomena.
- Knowledge (Dungeoneering): No longer identifies aberrations. Is now a background skill.
- Knowledge (Occult): This new skill identifies aberrations, occult, and psychic phenomena (as Knowledge (Dungeoneering) and (Arcana) used to.)
- Survival: Heal is now part of Survival.
- Swim: No longer a skill: see Athletics.
- Classes or features that treated any of the above-altered skills as class skills instead treat the appropriately-changed skill as a class skill (for instance; a trait that allowed climb to be treated as a class skill instead causes athletics to be treated as a class skill.) Features that only affected one aspect of a changed skill still only apply to the affected aspect of the new skill (for instance; the monk high jump feature grants a bonus to jump checks, which was previously part of acrobatics. Despite now being part of athletics, high jump still only applies to jump checks.)
- Retraining Skill Ranks
You can retrain skill ranks you have assigned to skills. Retraining skill ranks takes 5 days. When the training period ends, reassign a number of skill ranks up to your
Intelligence bonus (minimum 1)character level, removing them from your existing skill (or skills) and adding them to a different skill (or skills).
If retraining skill ranks means you no longer qualify for a feat or other ability you have, you can’t use that feat or ability until you meet the qualifications again. (Or you can retrain that feat or other ability.)